From bluebells to meadowrue

The Bluebells started blooming a few days’ ago, although it took me until yesterday to notice them. The pond rocks are piled high in front of them so it was a delightful treat to see them by happenstance. I am tempted to try using the leaves in a salad – you might remember when I first discovered Bluebells were edible.

It seems as if it was just yesterday when I was talking about Meadowrues
and how taken I was with them. Now the earliest of the Meadowrues has started blooming (see pic at left). I love this pink colour. There is a much larger one to the left of this one in the garden and it has mauve blooms. They are very airy flowers which perfectly complements their Columbine-like foliage. If only they bloomed all summer long!

21 thoughts on “From bluebells to meadowrue

1. Ragged Roses says:

Hello I had no idea bluebells were edible! The meadowrue is very pretty, it does look very delicate and airy. Hope you enjoy your weekend.Kim x

2. Ragged Roses says:

Me again, just followed your link and realised that you don’t mean the wild, woodland bluebell!!

The meadowrue is just beautiful, so delicate. I’m looking forward to seeing the other one!

I love meadow rue as well and I have several in my garden.But I think that what you call bluebells are different to what we call bluebells in England and different again to what the Scots call bluebells which in England are called harebells:):) All very confusing – I love the old country names for plants but they can be called different things in different areas which is why I started trying to learn the Latin names many years ago. That way people do at least know that they are all talking about the same plant:):)

5. Kate says:

Ragged roses – I didn’t know that Bluebells were edible until this year. As Rowan pointed out below, we all seem to call different plants, bluebells. I love Meadowrue – it cheers me always! Pam … the other Meadowrue is appearing as a very pale mauve this year. I will post a pic later today. Rowan … you are right about the Bluebells. All these different names so learning the Latin names seems to be the easiest. I’m glad that I have because it’s possible to look at gardening blogs in different languages and be able to identify the plants because of their Latin names.

6. MrBrownThumb says:

Hi Kate,Love the flowers you’ve posted and th pot below is very nice. I especially like how all these colors blend in with your blog.

7. Layanee says:

Isn’t spring exciting? Always something new in bloom and who doesn’t love blue…and pink … and…yeh, all the colors!

Now THIs is very interesting, Kate; my bluebells have just started blooming too, in the past few days, but my meadowrue is no where near flowering, not for another few weeks. isn’t that intriguing, how we can be spot on with one plant and so different with another, across the miles? We have JUNEBUGs, though. This doesn’t please me. I have nutty cats at any window wihere there are lights on–five of them in here right now, crowding into the windows burbling.

Hi Kate, Don’t bluebells and meadowrue seem more like fairy flowers then flowers for us humans? I think because they only last a little while. My bluebells and rue finished blooming quite a while ago – I wish they lasted longer. I love the way there are different color flowers, at the same time, on the bluebells and the rather frosty blue foliage.And the meadow rue is so super hardy – I’ve got one in sun and one in shade and they both do very well. Have a fine Sunday.Alyssa

10. Jean says:

I’ve never seen either plant they are both very interesting. Love the fluffy look of the meadow rue! how about some interesting hostas for your friends garden?

11. chigiy says:

I neither have bluebells or meadowrue in my garden. I don’t think they a common here, so it’s always fun to see what’s in bloom on different parts of the continent. I didn’t know bluebells were edible.

12. Ottawa Gardener says:

I planted a virginia bluebell this year, hopefully they’ll do as well as yours.

Those bluebells are so pretty (I love blue…) but I don’t know they are edible! The lacy pink is nice, too.

14. Herbs and Me says:

Thank you for stopping my blog and adding a comment! I have never have grown bluebells but I just might now:)Renee

15. Ki says:

I’ve always like the pictures of Thalictrum but have never planted it before. I bought a (one) plant (quite unusual for I’m usually not that reserved) and it’s supposed to be the lavender variety, I think T. delavayi. So I hope it grows to be as great as yours looks. I was surprised that they grow so tall.

16. Green thumb says:

Its such a fun to discover things by happenstance and if they turn out to be as pretty as your bluebells, its an icing on the cake!In a somewhat similar way I once came across a huge pumpkin in my garden which was growing behind some twigs and leaves. Its accidental discovery made it all the more adorable and tasty!!!

17. gardenmomma (Chris) says:

I love the meadowrue. Your garden looks so lush. You are having wonderful weather at this time of year, aren’t you? Here in Dallas, it’s becoming oppresively hot. We’re just trying to keep stuff alive.

18. Molly says:

I am absolutely besotted with meadow rues myself. After my first one I got a little crazy and now have everything from the tiny natives that self-sow in my shade garden to thalictrum ‘Elin’, a 3 meter monster that produces sterile flowers, so it blooms for quite a while. It’s just as well that the flowers are sterile because I’d hate to have that one self-seeding everywhere!

19. C. H. Green says:

My mom loved flowers. Had she lived and been internet savvy, she would have loved your blog.