A spring in my step

It doesn’t matter how many springs I have lived through, each one feels like my first. I love the wonderful feeling of anticipation and possibility that spring brings. My heart does a little dance when I see puddles on the streets and dirt appearing as if by magic in my garden. Every bit of green is a delight to me. I want to take great gulps of air and dance my way down the garden path.

I’ve rediscovered my camera and spent a contented afternoon taking photos of the tulips currently residing on my dining room table. It was a challenge keeping my cat, Finn, from knocking over the tulip vase.

Happy spring to you all!

55 thoughts on “A spring in my step

1. Greenthumb says:

Happy Spring to you dear Kate. And may your heart never cease to dance, be it spring or winter, and may we continue to see the beautiful world around you through your camera for all the seasons to come.

2. Judith says:

I share that bounding optimism spring brings, Kate. Long may it continue. Tulips are so welcome after the winter-their colours seem to herald the brightness like no other flowers.

3. bloominrs says:

You have captured the essence of spring with the tulips and your words. I too love the fresh spring greens and the smell in the air.

4. Monica the Garden Faerie says:

We’ve had an incredibly sunny spring so far, normally it is rainy (not that I complain, as a gardener). When I first saw the photo, I thought, do you really have open tulips already?! Aren’t you supposed to be in a colder climate than me, LOL! Then I saw thewy are on your dining room table, and all is right with the world, LOL!

5. Suzi Q says:

I love tulips! I have a peach colour on my table right now! I planted some bulbs in the fall and was worried they may not come up but last week I saw the little reddish green tips poking through the nearly frozen dirt! I can’t wait to see them bloom!

6. Sarah Laurence says:

You capture the lovely joy of spring so well. I needed to read this today as we had snow in Maine, sigh. We only have flowers inside too. Happy Spring! It shall happen.

7. joey says:

Your soft pink tulips remind me of you, dear Kate … beautiful! I’m still shooting inside too but it won’t be long before we are both outside, enjoying the gift of spring! Until then, keep that camera close … your photos are delightful!

8. Marion Pullen says:

Hello Kate…..
    I’ve only just discovered the comment you left for me way back last month about our sea defences. My apologies for not responding. I’ve been working on my blog this afternoon after deleting by error, something I wanted to retain…. and then I came across a few unmoderated comments, yours being one of them…. so here’s how I’ve found my way to your place.
    I have to say, I do admire your photographic skills, you must have a great camera. Kate, I shall return and spend some time reading your posts.
    Marion

9. tina says:

What a lovely soft pink and a true color of spring. So glad Finn did not get the best of these tulips. They are beautiful.

10. Gail says:

happiest of Springs to you Kate! The tulip shot is so lovely~the epitome of spring, it captures the gentle green that we only see with new growth! I love pink flowers…tulips are so often hot colors here in the south, but the pink is perfection. Finn and the tulips…now there’s a spring dance with a cat…They do like to see what’s in the vase, maybe something for them to nibble on….Coal is like that…so no whispy grasses get added. gail

11. Chigiy Binell says:

Happy spring Kate.
    I get so excited about spring that sometimes I think winter is my favorite season just for the anticipation of spring.
    Beautiful photo.

12. Kerri says:

My heart is dancing today with our temperature at 80ΒΊF (26.6C) and brilliant sunlight delighting my senses!
    It feels like heaven after the dreary weather week just past.
    That tulip is pink perfection! Such a soft, delicate shade. Kitties like to be right there in the thick of things, don’t they? Sometimes it’s hard to snap a clear photo with a kitty rubbing against me πŸ™‚
    Wishing you a bright happy Easter and a very happy spring, Kate!

Happy Spring to you too Kate – and I hope this finds you back out in your garden, camera (or trowel!) in hand.

14. Wildlife Gardener says:

I really enjoyed your post, dear Kate, as I resonated with your feelings. I was born at this time of year, and each year I feel reborn with the Spring. It’s a glorious feeling πŸ™‚
    Happy Easter to you πŸ™‚

15. Shady Gardener says:

Kate, I know exactly how you feel! What a lovely photo of your tulips. Just as thoughtfully done as your essay. Happy Spring to you, blogging friend! πŸ™‚

Perfect flower and color to celebrate spring tiptoeing in, Kate! The texture of the petals is so silky.
    Oooh – just noticed the font for our comments! It’s making all our words look just a little more elegant ;-]
    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

17. Jacqueline says:

Your tulips are so lovely and i really adore your photos lots! πŸ™‚ So happy to have found you today! Happy spring! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend and love to you!

18. Rhonda says:

Hi Kate,
    Your flower photography is wonderful. I’m a classmate from Kelly Rae Roberts’ class and just wanted to say, Hi!

19. Tyra says:

Dear Kate I feel exactly the same, each spring is a wonder. Lovely picture in it’s simplicity and great words.

20. our friend Ben says:

As spring moves inexorably towards summer, I think we can all appreciate the cool green days (and those tulips) even more, Kate! We still have a few bleeding heart blooms, and I’m cherishing every one. And, oh the joy, peony season is just beginning here. How I love those three great late-spring plants, peonies, iris, and baptisias, with their perfect combination of form and flower. (Well, almost perfect: If only baptisias smalled like sweet peas… )

21. Andrea says:

Hi Kate, though it’s been a while since you’ve created this post, I wanted to stop by and say hallo. The photo is absolutely great! Hope you are not drowning in rain as we are over here. Andrea

22. Lucy Corrander says:

And I’ve got a new camera . . . and, in relation to your last post . . . find photographing white very difficult (especially white flowers). That’s a lovely, gentle pink in those tulips.
    Hope you are ok.
    Lucy

23. Chloe M. says:

Kate,
    So glad you’ve rediscovered your camera – your pictures are always so very beautiful!
    Just stopping by to say “Hello” – since your post was several months ago!
    Chloe M.

24. Janie says:

uuh…looking at that picture makes me miss so much spring and all the lovely flowers… just thinking now the horrible weather that awaits us…makes me want to skip 3 months !!

25. Allie says:

Ha I also have a nearly 2 year old fuzzy cat named Finn..Huckleberry Finn… He’s a terror and loves loves to dig in house plants, vases, etc. There’s a lot to be said for taking such a pretty pic while there’s a fuzzy Finn on the loose. πŸ™‚

26. VP says:

And here we are on the brink of another spring.
    I hope you, Finn and everyone else at Kate Smudges are happy and well.