Six-word memoir

Last week, I was tagged by for this meme by Cake, at Whistling Leaf Blower. Violin_2

The six word memoir rules are:

– write your own six word memoir.
– post it on your blog and include a visual illustration if you’d like.
– link to the person that tagged you in your post.
– tag five more blogs with links.

This has been a challenging meme for me. Several six-word memoirs have come to mind . How could there not be, when I’ve lived for fifty years?

Colour and music brought me joy.

I will not tag anyone else to play along with this meme . If you would like to participate, please do so! It isn’t easy to condense one’s life into six words. As soon as I publish this, I’m sure I will want to change it.

28 thoughts on “Six-word memoir

1. gardenauthor says:

Kate – A brief, but fitting, memoir. First time visiting your new blog… very nice, indeed!
    I read that Lytton has moved on, and is now chasing rabbits. Lucy’s efforts are still concentrated on squirrels, as we have no bunnies. Although, we did hear a chipmunk this morning… Deb
    Hi Deb, Thank you! Lytton can take off like a flash after a rabbit. He’ll never catch one, but hope springs eternal! He’s as apt to chase after cats now too.

2. m says:

Kate, I like your six words but I agree with you…how can anyone describe their 50 years in just 6 words? I was tagged twice to play but finding 6 words is too hard. I pass :o)
    LOL
    Hi Mary, It was a tough one, but after giving it some thought, I figured this probably said it all.

3. kris says:

I’ve been tagged to do this too – so far I haven’t managed to come up with anything. I like yours though – very fitting, I think.
    I’m visiting blogs – and looked at your name, but clicked on the blog below yours on my list. Up pop photos of spring blooms – tons of green plants poking through the ground. WOW – what a difference a few days makes!! Oh – different part of the country. Had me going for awhile though!! 🙂
    Hi Kris, I wish that would have been true … I would love to see some spring blooms. No such luck for another while.
    I spent a few days trying to come up with something … it wasn’t easy!

4. Amy says:

Oh dear, I was tagged for this and then forgot to do it! I thought of several and had a terrible time deciding which one to use.
    Hi Amy, It is hard to do … I’ll have to check in and see if you came up with something!

5. Frances says:

You did a great job with the meme. I was tagged also and was sick, but that is not within my capabilites even when well. I would love to see a video of you playing your violin, does such a thing exist? And if not, will it ever? ;->
    Frances
    Hi Frances, It took me a long time to figure out what I’d say. I thought of it a bit like – what would I want to say if it was the last thing I said for people to remember me by. I will post a video at some point. It would be fun to that with the people I play with!

6. Katarina says:

Congratulations on your new blog! It’s nice, I like it a lot!
    /Katarina (Roses and stuff)
    Hi Katarina, I’m glad you like my blog. Thank you!

7. gfid says:

this is lovely, kate…. lovely words, and lovely photo. it’s timeless – could almost be taken inside a stone cottage in the Hebrides (or however you spell that)
    Hi Granny, Thank you! I love that photo of my fiddle and my old creaky rocking chair. And you spelled it right!!

8. Shady Gardener says:

How to do this, indeed! I gave it a momentary pause, however. 😉
    You created a nice combination of photo and 6 words.
    Hi Shady Gardener, Thank you – I am glad I did this meme. It made me thing! I tried getting to your blog earlier today – will try again and hope my browser doesn’t freeze up on me!

9. kerri says:

I love your cozy picture, Kate. It’s difficult indeed to fit a memoir into 6 words, but you did well.
    I’m glad the blog switch over went so smoothly. The blue and white looks clean and bright (I’m an accidental poet!:)
    If your weather is anything like ours then it’s dreary and wet, but on a happier note, we had a yard full of robins this morning. They were having a worm party! That’s the first time we’ve seen them in our yard this spring. A cause for celebration…I’ll go and make a pot of tea!
    Hi Kerri, Seeing robins for the first time in spring is a great cause for celebration. I haven’t seen any yet… probably won’t for a bit. Thanks – I am enjoying this clean look!

10. Linda O'Neill says:

Well you did a good job, Kate! I love what you wrote and the photo goes perfectly with it.
    Hi Linda – Thank you – I am happy with my home. Today I thought of something else I would have written, but I think this one is pretty enduring!

11. Cheryl says:

You are so good to do this. I really loathe these memes. I have done two, no more thank you.
    Your photo and words are apt.
    Hi Cheryl, Some memes are fun to do, but too many of them is a bit tiresome. I enjoyed doing this one and my dog one very much. Thank you!

12. San says:

A perfect, pared-down-to-essentials memoir, Kate! And a lovely image to pair with it. Great work.
    I love the looks of your new location. I will change the address in my blogroll.
    Hi San, Thank you. This was hard to do but a good exercise.

13. Esther Montgomery says:

Hello
    I’m glad you like
    ESTHER IN THE GARDEN
    It’s good to read a six word summary of someone’s life that is neither sad nor solemn.
    Esther Montgomery
    Hi Esther, most of my earlier attempts were solemn, but then the sun was shining and I figured I’ve had a good life!

14. Esther Montgomery says:

P.S. . . . I’ve just been trying – and failing – to find your plot on Blotanical.
    Esther
    Hi Esther, I’m no longer registered there, although I check out new blogs there.

Ugh. I don’t think I could do it! I was sure I’d left a comment on your previous entry upon coming to Typepad, saying how glad I was for you and that I hated having problems commenting on blogger. Well, lo and behold, my comment here seemed to have disappeared! Could be pilot error as well. In any case, so glad you’re in a more comfortable setting. And I LOVE your six-word-memoir. Perfect!
    Hi Anne, Your last comment is still there – I checked and responded to it! I am much happier here. I enjoyed doing this memoir!

16. Selma says:

I didn’t realise until now that you play the violin and it suits you so well. I can just imagine you playing something achingly beautiful while standing in your garden. Your 6-word memoir is perfect. It says so much!
    Hi Selma, I love playing my violin. I actually know some Australian fiddle music … quite similar to Canadian tunes! This memoir has really made me think … it was a good thing to do last week!

17. cake says:

i like how you said you tried to think of how you might want to be remembered. when i came up with mine, i thought to myself “yep, the story of my life” and that is how i knew it was the right 6 words. but who knows, on a different day, i might have gone a completely different direction.
    thanks for doing it, i really like yours.

Kate – I think you did a terrific job. As well as I can know you over the internet, those 6 words seem to sum up how I envision you. Hope that makes sense. The photo is lovely.

What a difficult task Kate, six words isn’t much but I think you did it very well. Perhaps that pic summed it up even better, you know that a pic can say more than a thousand words and this one speaks volumes!
    Like your new blog, are you happy with it too? Is it better than blogger?

20. Aiyana says:

You came up with a great memoir. Have you changed your mind yet? Without contemplating it too much, I’d probably use the unoriginal “Too soon old, too late smart”.
    Aiyana

“Colour and music brought me joy” is lovely. I guess you used ‘brought’ rather than ‘brings’ to keep it in memoir mode? I prefer the present tense myself – always trying to keep my options open!
    There is no way I could play this game, Kate – six words would only allow me one per decade.
    I thought my comment had disappeared too, until I realized that Typepad doesn’t keep the comments in one string but divides them up into pages, so you have to hit the ‘next’ button to see the later additions. I never noticed this at any other Typepad blog, but then no one else gets so many comments!
    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

22. Diane M. Schuller says:

Kate, ever since I first came across this idea of a 6 word memoir, it has intrigued me like crazy. Now that I see you’ve tackled it, I should give it a try too … the reason I haven’t is because I know how difficult it can be to sum up a life so far in only 6 little ol’ words. Well done!
    Diane
    It is an intriguing idea – as Aiyana mentions in a later comment, there is a book on six-word memoirs. I’m curious to see what it is like.

23. Aiyana says:

Hi Kate,
    This idea intrigued me enough that I did some research. There is a book, “Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous & Obscure” by by Larry Smith and Rachel Fershleiser that came out on Feb.8. I just ordered it. I think it will be fun reading!
    Aiyana

24. teeni says:

I need to catch up over here. I LOVE what you chose as a six word memoir! That must not have been easy but I love what you ended up with! And I’m still getting to know you! What’s all this about fiddling? I’d love to hear that. Maybe you could do a podcast sometime? 🙂 Purely for my selfish listening pleasure, you know.
    Hi Teeni, Thank you! I think this week I would have something slightly different … but similar! One of these days I’ll post a sound clip playing my favourite jig!

25. wendy says:

Funny how we criss-cross our way and bump into others on our wandering paths through this existence we call humanity. I came across your blog by checking in on an old favorite, the girl in the cafe. Then, after thoroughly enjoying your blog, that sent me reading the inside samples of 6-word memoirs. Fave of the book is “catholic school backfired, Sin is in!” and im not even catholic! loved yours too by the way! 🙂 Thanks for writing, sharing is wonderful, this blog is a wonderful surprise.

Sweet photo and beautiful words, Kate! Great
    soul and depth in those 6 words. And the rocking chair with the fiddle and all the books looks so cozy.
    🙂