Some different flowers for Green Thumb Sunday!

While there are no flowers in my outside garden, I am continuing to recreate them out of silk ribbon. I just finished making this flower sampler – the photograph below didn’t turn out very well, but was the best of the bunch.

I drew different flowerpots and flowers on the Irish linen square (30cm or 12 inch square) and embroidered each smaller square using hand-dyed variegated silk ribbon. I love working with silk ribbon. The colours are vibrant and the silk feels lovely.

Here is a closeup of one of the pots and flowers. I am now starting a series of flowers in silk ribbon that I am looking to incorporate into beeswax collage.

I wrote a post in March here showing some silk ribbon works that I did quite a while ago. This piece hangs in my living room, although I had originally made it to hold watercolour supplies.

And soon, I will off watching the Grey Cup game between the Saskatchewan Riders and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Go Riders!

27 thoughts on “Some different flowers for Green Thumb Sunday!

A gardener, a needlewoman, a musician, and an artist. I am impressed, Kate! I haven’t tried this yet, but wil be sometime this winter. Your work is so lovely.

Is there anything you don’t do? These are gorgeous. My daughter-in-law does ribbon embroidrey and also makes beautiful things–mostly flowers for little sachets.Happy GTS,Aiyana

How sweet these look, Kate! I tried my hand at silk ribbon embroidery with kits some years ago and really enjoyed it. There are some pretty colours, aren’t there?

4. Andrea's Garden says:

Hello Kate, I am amazed to discover all the creativity you are sharing with us. Really beautiful! Andrea

5. Crafty Gardener says:

What beautiful silk ribbon flowers you have created. Even though the weather outside isn’t gardening weather it is still gardening season in your heart.

I remember that first post you did of the ribbon embroidery and how struck I was then by your sense of colour. These are great too, and a lovely burst of colour for a dreary day. Hope the football game entertains you!

7. Willow says:

The silk ribbon embroidery is really lovely! Your wall hanging–wow! Of course, I’d love the blues best šŸ™‚

You are so talented! And this post confirms what Carol at May Dreams Gardens says – gardening is NOT a seasonal thing.Look what you have done when there isn’t much left blooming outdoors!

9. theysaywordscanbleed says:

wow, you’re pretty good. The only design I attempted to do was a cartoon character, even my florist does a better job than I do.

10. barbara says:

This sampler is so lovely. BTW, I have tagged you so expect some new visitors. Its about Seven Weird or Random facts about YOU. And you can read about it on my weblog The Seeded Earth. Have a great day.

11. Sarah says:

Your sampler gorgeous! I’ve always liked the look of silk ribbon embroidery,(my Mom does it) however I’ve never tried it. Happy GTS!~Sarah

12. Willow says:

Kate,CTEL stands for Certification for Teaching English Learners. It’s certification that all CA public teachers are required to have. You either take classes or three tests to get the creditation. I’m electing to take all three test in one day. Thanks for your interest.

13. chigiy at Gardeners Anonymous says:

Kate,I have to also say that you are so talented. Your sampler is beautiful. What a great idea for GTS.

14. Sheri says:

oh this is awsome… i wish i knew how to do anything with sewing or stiching… i can crotchet but only scarves or blankets… šŸ™‚ thank you for all your awsome comments on my journal and art…. glad you like the turkey pics… šŸ™‚

You are an amazingly talented woman, Kate, and multifaceted. Like everything else you do, these are absolutely beautiful!

What a lovely flower sampler, Kate. Like you, I love embroidery and to do it myself too. When I’m in London I’d like to visit the Albert and Victoria museum where they had lots and lots of samplers to admire (among the many other treasures you find there). I’m impressed that you have designed all the flowerpots and flowers yourself, well done, good colour sense too!BTW Lytton has been tagged by the Bliss team kitties. Read all about it on Bliss. šŸ˜‰

17. Christa says:

Beautiful, Kate. My mother-in-law embroidered silk ribbon flowers for my wedding quilt. Your piece has flowers very similar. Just beautiful.

18. this is my patch says:

I just love this, you are a very talented lady, how I wish I had learned these skills. x

19. lisa says:

That’s just gorgeous Kate! I haven’t embroidered in years…now I don’t understand why! You are extremely talented!

20. MrBrownThumb says:

I’m always amazed at needlework mostly because my hands shake too much to have to do something with such precision. Nice work.