Snowy night

It is an incredibly cold and frosty night and I was reminded of snippets of the poem, Snowy Night, by Mary Oliver. Here is an excerpt:

Snow was falling,
so much like stars
filling the dark trees
that one could easily imagine
its reason for being was nothing more
than prettiness.

I suppose
if this were someone else’s story
they would have insisted on knowing
whatever is knowable – would have hurried
over the fields
to name it – the owl, I mean.

But it’s mine, this poem of the night,
and I just stood there, listening and holding out
my hands to the soft glitter
falling through the air.

I love this world,
but not for its answers.
And I wish good luck to the owl,
whatever its name –
and I wish great welcome to the snow,
whatever its severe and comfortless
and beautiful meaning.

13 thoughts on “Snowy night

1. Willow says:

Cold, crisp nights have their attraction, especially while viewed through a window from a cozy armchair near a roaring fire.

Yes Kate I can see you all curled up by the fire reading Mary Oliver on a cold snowy night.

3. Naturegirl says:

Beautiful poem describing the snow fall!I too can’t help but hold out my hand to soft falling snow when outside! For now I hibernate..snow fell yesterday but I am NOT ready for it! hugs to you NG

4. Ruth Welter says:

Beautiful poem kate. No snow here for us where we live in NY…not yet anyway. : ) Hope you will be having a very happy holiday season.

5. Jardineira aprendiz says:

Such a beautiful poem Kate! I saw snow falling only a few times in my life, but it feels just like this!I will come back soon, to read your new posts.

Lovely poem, Kate. We had a beautiful snow fall the night before last and it is always enchanting for me. Glitter is a perfect word for it. Pebbles in the snow – perfect! Thank you.

The poem says, quite beautifully, what I feel about those kinds of nights. Thank you for posting it.

Great photo and poem. You are on short time now–only 8 posts to go before December!Aiyana

9. Lucy says:

‘I love this world, but not for its answers’Just beautiful. Evokes nights I’ve only ever imagined, and speaks great, but quiet, volumes. Pleased to have found your lovely blog, Kate!

10. this is my patch says:

What a great picture of the frost covered stones, at least not being out in the garden you have had some time to make beautiful poetry discoveries. x

11. susanna says:

That is a beautiful poem. I especially like her line…”listening and holding out my hands to the soft glitter falling through the air.” It’s so visually beautiful. I’ll admit that I hadn’t even heard of Mary Oliver before blogging. She has many fans out here in the blogosphere.

I understand exactly what she means! On a quick trip out to take care of the recycling, I stopped a minute to watch the moon come over the top of the trees. We don’t have snow yet, but the air is very cold and certainly feels like winter. Mary Oliver is one of my favorite poets.

13. Sheri says:

oh i love this poem… my favorite part is “..and I wish great welcome to the snow, whatever its severe and comfortless and beautiful meaning.”