What a relief it is to have the pond finished. Yesterday I enlisted the help of my son and we completed work on the pond. Some smaller rocks need to be positioned behind the large rocks lining the pond (see pic at left). But that should be it!
I am having the best time today – since my muscles are protesting a bit, I decided to work on my trellis. I have two American Bittersweet vines that overtook their current trellis so something had to be done.
Off to the garage I went where I discovered a bundle of 3-metre-high sticks about 10 mm. in diameter. Amazingly, they fit snugly in the openings between my fence boards. I had a small dilemma though. I couldn’t really leave the sticks as they were without adding something to tie each stick to the other.
Since my hammer seems to have disappeared, I knew I had to do something that wouldn’t require any nails. hmmm … down to my craft materials and there was my answer. Many years ago, I bought rolls of this cool rope at the dollar store. At the time, I intended to use it to cover old clay pots. That has never happened so it occurred to me that I could wind it around the wood sticks and secure it at each end with fine wire.
Things were rolling along fine until I realised I wasn’t quite tall enough to reach winding the rope around the sticks. Off I went to get my wobbly ladder. Keeping my fingers crossed, I managed to finish making the trellis without tipping over into my new neighbour’s yard.
I am so delighted with the look of my new trellis, that I am going to make another one for the Virginia Creeper that definitely needs some new places to creep. (will post pics later!)
p.s. if you look closely at the pond pic, you will see one of the fishies. Owing to the lateness of the pond completion, we decided to forego having a pond-opening party and instead my son did the fish honours.