The finished product

A while back, I posted a picture of several clay flowerpots I had painted. Today I finished stenciling one of them and wanted to share my work with you. This pot stands 11 inches high so it took a while to complete. Bluebells seemed to be the perfect flower for beginning my stenciling activities again.

It wasn’t until I got my stencils, brushes and oil crayons out that I realised how much I have missed stenciling. For me, it is a soothing activity and always fills me with a sense of peace and accomplishment.

For the past several days, this has been a good way to pass some time while recuperating from having done too much in the garden. As we get into planting and working in our gardens, I have a suspicion that I am not the only one who overdoes it at times, in an enthusiasm to get much accomplished.

There’s something about the quality of light at this time of year that draws me outdoors and of course, there is always some work to be done. This morning, I had coffee in the garden with my friend Kerry and didn’t do more than a few minutes worth of planting. I was reminded of how important it is to take time to enjoy the flowers.

As Kerry mentioned reading about a garden who said she spent 95 % of her time gardening and only 5 % time enjoying their garden, I decided I wanted to spend more of my time savouring the flowers and foliage during this short window of gardening time we have here on the Canadian prairies.

24 thoughts on “The finished product

1. Layanee says:

I know what you mean about ‘overdoing’ in the garden! It is easy to do when there is so much to attend to in so little time. I have to remind myself that it is never really finished and the joy is in the doing! Love the stenciled pot!

2. Simon says:

Hi Kate,I see you listen to good advice sometimes ;)Sand the stenciled pot is very beautiful and is transformed into an elegant work of art by your hand.

Very pretty pot Kate. I paint and decoupage terra cotta pots also – have a big stack sitting in the potting shed awaiting embellishment. If only the days were longer…..will get to them some day!Gardening here has been tough – no rain for 20 days until yesterday – stood outside in it and was thankful, as were my flowers and veggies!

4. chigiy says:

The pot is beautiful.I mosaic them sometimes.It is so true that we spend a lot of time working on our garden and not as much enjoying it.Let’s drink more coffee in our gardens.

5. LostRoses says:

Kate, thanks for visiting my blog, I’m loving yours! Gorgeous pot you stenciled, too. As a lazy gardener, I have to say I spend 95% of my time just gazing at mine. Though I spend a lot of time “thinking” about weeding!

Hi Kate, How very true. I have very little time in the morning to enjoy the gardens. But, when I get home from work at night, I take a flashlight and walk around and look at everything. Sometimes a pug comes with me. I find taking pictures for the blog makes me notice the small details that I might overlook. Other times I sit on the ground and get a “bug’s eye view” of the gardens. Must make time for beauty. Speaking of beauty, the the pale blue pot is lovely. I’d love a row of them filled with blue flax.

7. Green thumb says:

That Pot is looking so lovely! I love the cool shade of blue you have used for it. Its such a pleasure to be able to enjoy your garden and writing, with as little effort as a click of the mouse!

It’s always good to “stop and smell the roses.” Especially the ones we’ve worked so hard to produce.Your pot is just beautiful, I love it. It accentuates the gentle beauty of your garden.

9. bindi says:

Hi Kate, I hope you’re feeling recuperated after your “day off”. The pot has come up extremely well, hasn’t it!

10. Herbs and Me says:

My daughters just finished painting some clay pots. I never thought of using stencils. They just painted free hand. We have also painted some small rocks to place around my herb beds. We used patio paints what did you use?Renee

11. Kylee says:

That’s so pretty, Kate! You and I are thinking much the same right now, about just enjoying the garden. I’m ready for a break from planting, mulching, and watering!

Maybe a good massage is in order? Hope you’re not too sore, sweet Kate. Better take another day off and enjoy more of that coffee in the garden. Wish I could share a cup with you!

13. Connie says:

Hi, Enjoyed visiting your blog… Your pot is lovely! I hope to try my hand at some mosaic soon, now that planting is nearly done. I grew up just south of you, across the border in N.Dak. (near Estevan). The prairie has a charm of it’s own, but I love the mountains where I live now, a wonderful zone 6b. 🙂 Hope you can drop by my blog for a visit sometime.

Love those dainty little bells you stencilled on the pot, very pretty.Of course we all (except Lostroses) should take more time and sit down to enjoy our gardens but ……….It’s good to read that you take time out every now and again and rest a bit. By not overdoing the work part we can enjoy our gardens even more.

Beautiful, Kate! What are you going to put in it?I can see my garden from all the back windows of the house. Just to glance out while I do the dishes makes me feel good. Hope you are feeling better with some rest.

16. Gardenista says:

Why do we work so hard out there anyhow? Do we all really believe that someday we will achieve garden utopia, or do we really just enjoy the process? Your pot is lovely. Thanks for your comments on my blog.

17. healingmagichands says:

Okay, now I am feeling just a trifle inadequate. It never occurred to me that one could paint and stencil flower pots. I don’t use a lot of them, most of my stuff goes into the ground or not at all because, well, if they are in pots you have to water them every day during July and August or they die. Of course,the watering time is my time to enjoy the gardens, so. I am so glad that I work at home so I can spend as much time as I want in my gardens. And visitors to my blog can see examples of how lovely it is getting on a regular basis. “Have digital camera, will upload.” Is my new motto!

Your stencilled plant pot is lovely – such pretty, summery colours. I’m good at overdoing things in the garden especially in the spring but I’m also quite skilled at just enjoying it. As the old countrymen used to say ‘sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits’ 🙂

19. i am the diva says:

Kate, i’m listening to your cd…it’s very mellow and relaxing. Thanks for playing!!

20. Andrea's Garden says:

Great idea to stencil terracotta pots. You are right, the light around this time of year is just soothing for the soul and seems to waken one up. I enjoyed looking through your blog. /Andrea

Trailing along behind as usual of late. Kate, this is a darling pot–although at 11 inches it’s not a darlin’ little pot, is it? I love the look of it and the thought of you relaxing and creating this lovely thing. Thank you for sharing it.

22. Iowa Gardening Woman says:

Nice flower pot, beautiful shade of blue, what are you planning to put in it? I painted several last summer with the intention of dressing them up but they are still sitting there with a nice coat of paint.