Green Thumb Sunday – Lewisia

Just in time for Mother’s Day … the Lewisia is in bloom! A short while ago, I wrote about and posted a picture of a Lewisia plant. It is now in bloom and looking lovely amid the rocks and woolly thyme. The flowers are different from those of last year – less striped and not quite so vibrantly coloured. I think I like these a lot!!

And then there are the tulips which are only 20 cm (8 inches) tall. They are adorable and I was amazed to see that they were actually the colours that I wanted. Just don’t ask me the names because I haven’t a clue. I planted my bulbs late last fall and ended up putting them all in a basket. It was so cold out that haste was my main goal … now I wish I had paid attention to their names and not just their colours!! If anyone can identify them, please let me know!

I want to wish a Happy Mother’s Day to all my friends who are mothers!

18 thoughts on “Green Thumb Sunday – Lewisia

1. Megan Pickwell says:

What beautiful colours Kate, tulips are one of my favourites.Happy Mothers Day to you.Meganxoxo

2. Simon says:

blooming and what colours. I must say my favourite is the tulip, and oops, I have absolutely no idea of the name. Happy Mother’s Day, Kate.tcS

Happy Mother’s Day, Kate! I think all women are Mothers, biologically or not. We nurture people, gardens, animals. I hope you had a wonderful day.

4. Gotta Garden says:

Happy Mother’s Day to you!I saw a Lewisia today and thought of you! I left it there as I don’t think I could keep it happy, so I will just admire yours! I also saw some of the tiny Kenilworth Ivy…it was just adorable. See, you are broadening my horizons

Hi Kate, What pretty pictures. You know, I never see lewisia in the garden centers here – yours is the only I’ve seen. That tiny tulip is unusual – is it a species? I love it. The color is intense. Happy Mother’s Day. Alyssa

6. skeet says:

I love the delicacy of the lewisia. Just beautiful. Can’t help you out with the tulips, so I’ll just enjoy them.

I hope you had a lovely Mother’s Day. I did, eventhough I’m not a mom, but I got a pressy anyway (see Bliss).Love those cute little tulips, they are very pretty. Can’t help you with the names though. Never mind, just enjoy them, that is what they are there for. 🙂

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog, your visit led me back to yours and your garden is gorgeous. I looked up AS, and it sounds terribly painful. I’m happy to read that they can help and hope you are as comfortable as possible. I can see why your garden brings you peace and helps you to cope.I’ll be back.

9. Kate says:

Crafty gardener – thank you for stopping by. Lewisia is lovely, just a tad temperamental!Megan – you are such a sweetie. Thank you for your mother’s Day wishes. Ruth – that is the most important thing about Lewisias … they rot if there is too much water around their crowns. That’s why I have wedged rocks and sand all about them. Acey – the plants are so pretty, it is hard not to smile.Laura – I’m glad to see you again!!Ottawa gardener – At this time of year, I very much miss my former garden in Ottawa. Thank you Simon – I am looking forward to seeing pics of your sweet peas, cathedral bells and morning glories in bloom!Mary – I am so in agreement with you on this … women as nurturers.GG – That’s what I love about blogging – you have certainly broadened my horizons. I am glad that I have yours as well. (Speaking of kenilworth ivy … last night, my dad was complaining about it has self-seeded … just what I love about it!)Hi Alyssa – I’m not sure about the tulips. It isn’t often that I come across Lewisia at garden centres. Was surprised to find them here. Thank you Ladyseashells and Skeet!Yolanda Elizabet, I must visit Bliss – you are a mum, definitely! And I agree, just enjoy the flowers and not get hung up on what they are called.Pam – thank you for visiting me here. I enjoyed reading your blog. You are an inspiration to me!

10. Ki says:

Thank you for posting photos of your Lewisia. Such a great looking plant. I can’t wait for my plants to arrive.I hope the color will be as attractive as yours.

11. Gardenista says:

I absolutely LOVE lewisias but have only two of them. I have a bunch more coming by mail though! What a fantastic little plant.

12. anne says:

I’m a little late visiting this week. It’s nice to see the difference a month can make, in the two photos of your Lewisia!